Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-14 16:10:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: liddles at amgen.com (Liddle, Stuart)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:10:02 -0700
OK....so now I have to disagree with Curtis on his disagreement....

We tried using Vault with both preserving of Multiplexing and doing
de-multiplexing on the vault copies.  In both cases, we did not get very
good throughput.  Most of my time was spent trying to balance the amount of
space on the VTL's that had not yet been vaulted.  We also found that when
you have an image consisting of lots of small files, it will be slower than
if you have a few very large files (like database files).

When stuff did get vaulted, we had to bpexpdate the images on the VTL's to
free up space for the ever-increasing amount of backups coming in.
Symantec/Veritas had people helping us with this issue for weeks before we
finally gave up and went with the "Direct Tape Copy" cloning method built
into the NetApp VTL's (good stuff).

We were having a terrible time with trying to get Vault to keep ahead of the
data coming in for backups to the VTL's....and that was before we had fully
migrated all of our legacy backup systems to our new environment.  We had to
have scripts to keep track of what we could bpexpdate off of the VTL to make
room for backups.

Yes, we realize that NetBackup does not really "know" about the true
location of the tapes that we clone using the Direct Tape Copy method.  And
we had to partition our physical tape library to accommodate this approach.
But this was a small price to pay for the problems we encountered using
Vault.  And, I would happily deal with this  rather than have to worry about
whether or not an older backup was successfully Vauted or not or if I have
enough space on my VTL.

Right now our monitoring of the VTL's consists of checking on available
tapes and assigning new ones when they get low.  We have a script that eject
full tapes from the VTL's hourly and active tapes once a day.  The eject is
what triggers the cloning to physical tape.  There are some other issues
that we've had to deal with on the VTL's, but all are minor compared to what
we used to have.

And, yes, it's also true that it might be inefficient in the tape use
because of the way the VTL allocates space for the virtual tape....again, a
small price to pay.

Still doing upwards of 200TB/week .... approaching 1 Petabyte/month.

--stuart