Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-11 11:04:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: blaine_robison at yahoo.com (Blaine Robison)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 08:04:41 -0700 (PDT)
I understand that VTL able to create multiple tape libraries and tape drives.

Yes this is correct. There is a limit depending on the manufacturer.

> If i'm cloning data that already backup in VTL to the actual tape library,
> what is the common practice? script? netbackup?

Common practice is to use vault.
You can create a script using bpduplicate.

> Let's say if i have 100 clients and i do not use multiplexing and instead
> creating 100 virtual tape drives, does it mean that i need 100 LTO3 tape when
> i do cloning? Will the activity monitor display backup failure from VTL to
> the normal tape library?

If you are limiting retentions to 1 retention per tape and you have 100
retention periods then yes.

If you have only 10 retention periods, you will utilize your tapes more
efficiently when you clone.

Yes, It will look just like a tape library to tape Library duplicate failure.

--- dy018 <netbackup-forum at backupcentral.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new using VTL with netbackup.
>
> I was hoping anyone here already implemented such a setup in their current
> environment and hope share your general setup plan? I'm now planing for such
> a setup and only have experience using normal tape libraries.
>
> I understand that VTL able to create multiple tape libraries and tape drives.
> If i'm cloning data that already backup in VTL to the actual tape library,
> what is the common practice? script? netbackup?
>
> Let's say if i have 100 clients and i do not use multiplexing and instead
> creating 100 virtual tape drives, does it mean that i need 100 LTO3 tape when
> i do cloning? Will the activity monitor display backup failure from VTL to
> the normal tape library?
>
> Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance

Blaine Robison
Solaris Ceritfied System Administrator
Solaris Certified Network Administrator
Veritas Certified Professional