Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-11 10:53:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:53:32 -0400
For starters, if you have 100 clients, you wouldn't create 100 drives.
You don't want all of your backups running at once.

But you could create 10 drives, or 20, or however many you want/need.
You could create 100 if you want.
I created 20 drives per each of 3 media servers, and that is only to
allow spares for duplication and restores while backups are still
running.

Your virtual tape size won't match your physical tape size in most
cases, and no you do not need the same number of physical drives as
virtual.....your duplication will run as many jobs as you have physical
tape drives, so in essence, you will run 100 backups to 20 drives, then
you end up with 100 images on VTL. If you have 3 physical tape drives,
you will use 3 virtual drives, and 3 physical drives to handle your
duplication....you can continue doing backups to the remaining 17 drives
aimultaneously.

Paul

--

La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans
d?lai ?
l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.