Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Mailbox Backup

2007-05-10 19:05:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Mailbox Backup
From: tech2187 at yahoo.com (K Chapman)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
i no longer do brick levels, and we didnt have decent enough tape drive tech
(mammoth2, yuk) to do much mpx/ms.  i used to do mpx 4 (normal fs jobs),
however the drives would fail in much shorter time, and we did get quite a high
drive fail rate with exabyte.  time wise, i couldnt allocate more than 1 drive
to deal with brick level.  we also had a single exch server so pulling a few
streams while folks are hitting mb's wasnt fun.  so as the db got bigger we
went a diff route, tape tech and exch deployment wise.  info stores were always
speedy, so we bought recov mgr for exchange and that gives us the ability to
recover mailboxes without having to deal with the exch org directly or brick
level backups.

lto2 is our current tape tech and we get 40mb/sec,single stream, for info
stores and we have a few backend servers.  i have no complaints now in terms of
backup speed/message level recoverability.

aaarrrggghhh!!!!
FreeBSD rocks