Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters

2007-05-01 19:35:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters
From: cpreston at glasshouse.com (Curtis Preston)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 19:35:57 -0400
>First, that is not all the guy said

Yes, it was.  Anything more than that you read into it.

>and yes if a virus or random act of
>file deletion removed bpcd you'd be thanking your lucky stars MSI put
it
>back for you, service restarts and all.

Sorry, gonna have to beg to differ there.  I like the first part -- not
the second part.  I'll decide when my backup service stop and start,
thank you.

>Further, this all implies that
>"stupid" windows admins delete their application directories / files on
>purpose / for fun / because we've got nothing better to do.

Oh, give me a break.  I'd assume a good Windows person would be aware of
this feature and wouldn't do such a thing.  BUT, if someone deletes a
file in c:\program files\symantec\netbackup without knowing what it is,
they shouldn't be allowed at the keyboard. It's got nothing to do with
what OS they're used to.

>Secondly, you bad mouthed VBScript, a language you obviously do not

No I didn't.  Just like the "stupid" comment above, you're just looking
for a way to be insulted.  Look at his post and my post.  He said:

>Is there an easier way to grab this information?  And by easier, I mean
>something that VBScript could use?  Without awk here, I'm dead.

The original poster said that.  Not me. I took that to mean that
vbscript couldn't use that output.  And, no, I don't know vbscript, but
I don't think I was slamming it when I said:

>If vbscript is so limited it can't handle the output you displayed,
>this is only the first of many roadblocks you will encounter.
>If you're going to script on a Windows box you've got to
>install and learn perl.

I'm done arguing too.  I'm tired of defending myself against things I
didn't actually do.