Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: NDMP restoration paths

2007-05-01 13:40:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: NDMP restoration paths
From: netbackup-forum at backupcentral.com (netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com)
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 10:40:54 -0700
So I can confirm that the NDMP behavior is different (ie, recreating the
absolute pathname) than normal restores?

We are in the process of developing an NDMP server and noticed that Veritas
sends ambiguous restoration path information, forcing us to always tack on the
original path name, regardless of which restore option the user selects.

On the backup (includes a subdir called dir_A and a file inside called
file.ext):
FILESYSTEM=/top_level

Restore file.ext in original location:
FILESYSTEM=/top_level
ORIGINAL_PATH=dir_A/file.ext
DESTINATION_DIR=/top_level

Restore file.ext to different location "/top_level":
FILESYSTEM=/top_level
ORIGINAL_PATH=dir_A/file.ext
DESTINATION_DIR=/top_level

So in the first restore scenario, we would expect a file called
/top_level/dir_A/file.ext.  In the second, the user would want
/top_level/file.ext.  However, given the information Veritas sends us through
NDMP (v3), we can't differentiate between the two cases.  Better to always
restore the original absolute path name.

I just wanted to verify that this is a Veritas quirk and that we weren't
missing something stupid.

Thanks,

-- Joe