Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters

2007-04-30 23:53:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters
From: sysadminzone at gmail.com (Boris Kraizman)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 05:53:16 +0200
Hi Folks,

I agreed with Curtis, you can do a lot more using CLI NetBackup commands on
UNIX rather then on Windows.
Unfortunately at my present job, the master server is Windows and it was
original built, but lucky enough, I was able to add a few Sun Solaris media
servers to the architecture, and all my stats, calcs, offsite vault and so
on, on the UNIX media servers. Also, the network speed, you cannot beat on
UNIX, tcp/ip stack is still faster and better on Solaris/Linux. I also had
problem with tape driver on Windows and had to get the patch for that limit
for 64k data buffers. And yes, at least a month, I need a reboot for
Windows, not UNIX, I can just do stop/start. So, would be a question, can I
easily migrate the master from Windows to a UNIX/Linux server? Probably not.

Regards,
Boris