Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters

2007-04-30 22:35:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New technote for Windows NetBackup Masters
From: cpreston at glasshouse.com (Curtis Preston)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 22:35:38 -0400
It's a very powerful, very dangerous tool.  Did I mention it was
dangerous?  If anybody at Symantec asked, I didn't say nutin'.  (Just
kidding.  I know they're watching.) ;)

Unsupported.  Dangerous.  Powerful.  Interested?

It can copy any file to/from any NetBackup client using NBU protocols.
However, if you use it incorrectly, IT CAN KILL YOUR CLIENT OR SERVER.

>From the master:
bpgp to/from <client> /sourcepath/file /destinationpath/file

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THERE ARE NO SANITY CHECKS ON THE FILE/DIRECTORY
NAMES.
DUE TO ITS LACK OF SANITY CHECKING ON THE FILENAMES, IT'S A VERY
DANGEROUS COMMAND AND IF YOU USE IT INCORRECTLY, YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR
CLIENT OR YOUR SERVER.  I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OR
MISUSE OF THIS COMMAND!

Suppose, for example, you use syntax similar to that of cp or rcp, and
try and copy a file your root directory:

##WRONG##!!!!! bpgp from client /sourcepath/file /  ##WRONG##!!!!!

THAT WOULD OVERWRITE YOUR ROOT DIRECTORY MOUNT POINT WITH "FILE."  YOUR
SERVER WOULD CRASH IN A SECOND, AND YOU'D HAVE TO RECOVER THE WHOLE
THING.

That's why it's officially not documented or supported.  But, as long as
you use it correctly:

bpgp from client /somepath/file /somepath/file
or
bpgp to client /somepath/file /somepath/file

It can also support windows clients:

bpgp from client "/c/some dir/some file name" /somepath/somefilename

(notice the quotes to deal with spaces in file names)

You can do incredible things with this command.  One of the things I use
it for is to have a centrally managed exclude list.  I also use it to
temporarily turn rsh or ssh on so I can run a command on a bunch of Unix
hosts.  When I'm done running the command, I turn rsh or ssh off.  That
way I only have to turn it on for the duration of my command.

DUE TO ITS LACK OF SANITY CHECKING ON THE FILENAMES, IT'S A VERY
DANGEROUS COMMAND AND IF YOU USE IT INCORRECTLY, YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR
CLIENT OR YOUR SERVER.  I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OR
MISUSE OF THIS COMMAND!

Still interested?  Have fun! ;)

---
W. Curtis Preston
Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies