Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP and SSO in NetBackup 6.0 [NC]

2007-04-26 13:05:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP and SSO in NetBackup 6.0 [NC]
From: misha.pavlov at sgcib.com (misha.pavlov AT sgcib DOT com)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:05:01 -0400
Rongsheng,

I can't give yo much details on NDMP SSO configuration option as this is
new in 6.0 and I am still on 5.1
I do not think there is much difference though - when doing tpconfig to
create a device on media server, you'd just add "-share yes" option.

For what it's worth, here are some generic NDMP ramblings I can share with
you.

You'll need the NetBackup for NDMP option installed with the license and
mostlikely the same on EMC sides.
If drives already zoned and Celera can see them - you practically all set
.... jsut few configuration commands to run :-)

Celera see the drive and start dumping to it when it's told to.
Media and master servers get the devices ( tpconfig ) and  STU configured
( bpstu[list|add|rep|del] ) with drives connected to NDMP host (
ndmphost:nrst#a in my NetApp case ).

Master, media , robot control  ( could be all on the same machine )
servers will do the scheduling and the media management ( pick, mount,
unmount, etc. ) NBU will give a goahead to Celera to do the SCSI
Reserve/Release and to start dumping to the specified NDMP drive[s].

Would be nice if you could post the summary if you'll decide to go with
this.

Regards

Rongsheng Fang <unixlifebox at gmail.com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
04/26/2007 10:41 AM

veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] NDMP and SSO in NetBackup 6.0

Hi,

We have some Celerra NAS devices on the network (and SAN) and would like
to  use NDMP to back up those devices. We have a tape library with six
tape drives in the SAN. Is it possible to configure the Celerra NAS
devices to mount the tape drives from the SAN with NetBackup SSO option?
Or we have to mount the tape drive on one of the NetBackup media servers
and do three-way or remote NDMP backup? I read through the NetBackup for
NDMP SA's guide but still not clear on how SSO works with NDMP. Can
somebody kindly explain to me how SSO works with NDMP?

Thanks much,

Rongsheng
Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu