Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] clients in hosts files and forcing NICs to FULL

2007-04-12 13:16:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] clients in hosts files and forcing NICs to FULL
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:16:08 -0400
I just got AWAY from HOSTS files.  Thankfully I manage DNS too! :)  IMO
DNS is just as critical to day to day operations as Power, Cooling and
the Network.  Try turning your DNS servers off for 10 minutes and see if
the outage isn't as critical as one of those others.

We use AUTO here for everything... I worked for 5 years at another
corporation and we had problems getting 3COM nics to auto negotiate with
Cisco switches, so our standard for all servers was 100/FULL but that
was some time ago.  Unless you have an issue, why change it?  Further, I
don't think the Gigabit Ethernet standard supports static duplex.  Sure
you CAN do it (drivers and switches give you the option) but the
standard was written if I'm not mistaken with a built in function for
negotiating speed so anything current shouldn't have this as an issue.

-Jonathan