Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Virtual Tape library or backup to disk

2007-04-11 10:49:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Virtual Tape library or backup to disk
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:49:37 -0400
I recently spent several months looking at disk technologies.  Just
generally speaking here I found that Disk Based Backups (DSU/DSSUs) are
pretty young in Netbackup and there's quite a few issues that have to be
monitored and maintained to make them work correctly.  That aside, you
can't beat the price per GB/TB for raw disk storage versus a VTL.  From
a management perspective, VTLs I think are easier because media
management is so well defined in Netbackup.  I've got several Perl
scripts I use to manage my DSSUs but everything I need for media is
right there in the GUI.

As far as compression and block level conversion to different formats
etc I think you may be getting a few crossed signals.  I've heard quite
a few issues with older VTLs especially when people try and duplicate
their tapes onto VTLs.  I'd check with your hardware vendor, but as best
I can tell all those issues were on the "bleeding edge."

-Jonathan