Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] mixed media in the same library

2007-04-10 15:38:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] mixed media in the same library
From: bobbyrjw at comcast.net (bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:38:53 +0000
I have used LTO-2 media in the LTO-3 drives.  It works just fine, but the LTO-3
drive has to be set up to (defined in NetBackup) as an LTO-2 drive.  Just make
the HCART designations match.

It may also help if you have to restore an "old" tape and only have the LTO-3
drives.

I don't seperate the media into pools based on media type.  I just have the
storage units for faster policies (long fast data streams) set to use a SU set
up as LTO-3.

NetBackup is happy to have both tape types in the same pool.

From: "Adams, Dwayne" <AdamsDC at medsch.ucsf.edu>

Bobby,

How do you mange the different tapes once they are in the library?  Do you
start the tapes in the pool that you would use them in instead of the scratch
pool?  I am assuming that the LTO2 media is not appropriate for all your jobs.
Do you have both LTO2 and LTO3 drives in the same library? Do you use LTO2
media in LTO3 drives?

Dwayne Adams