Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media server sizing

2007-04-09 17:12:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media server sizing
From: dsixbury at hrblock.com (Sixbury, Dan)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:12:15 -0500
Any suggestions on hardware media server sizing?  We have a little over
800 plus clients running on Netbackup 5.1 in a mixed Unix and Windows
environment.  The master and all of our current media servers run HP-UX
11.11.  We have 4 media servers that currently handle all of the client
backup traffic with the exception of a few SAN media servers that back
themselves up.

The issue is that at least 3 of our media servers are outdated hardware
and need to be replaced, including the master.

I was wondering if it makes sense to stay with multiple servers for the
media servers or if it makes sense to, e.g. move down to 2 larger
servers that have more networking interfaces?  What is the main limiting
factor on media servers for performance?  Of course limiting single
points of failure is always good as well.

Also are there suggestions for ppl with experience in setting up the
environment to either cluster the master server or manage the
environment in such that worse case scenario if you lose your master
server that you can get back up quickly to still do backups.?
I didn't know if ppl had experience with whether it was better to manage
a master server in a clustered environment or in an environment that was
setup where you reubuilt the master server from a DR standpoint (i.e.
ignite an HP-UX system and perform a bare metal restore), or promote an
existing media server to a master.

Thanks