Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Somewhat OT: Copying a Windows XP hard disk with NBU

2007-04-06 15:01:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Somewhat OT: Copying a Windows XP hard disk with NBU
From: neil at mbari.org (Conner, Neil)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:01:34 -0700
We have been doing this sort of thing for years with Drive Image.  Ghost has
been around just as long if not longer.  The two things you need with either
product is a boot disk with correct drivers for both the network adapter and
disk controller.

But if you do want to use NBU, I highly recommend you fully patch the
workstation before you take the pristine full backup, then fully patch the new
XP install on the new disk before you do the restore.  Use the ALL_LOCAL_Drives
directive to get your full backup - this will also backup Shadow Copy
Components - this is the registry and other key system config files and
settings.  Don't worry - this is what NBU is for; besides, you'll still have
the 20 GB disk laying around.

By the way, you didn't specify what MP release you're on...  I would recommend
updating to MP6 on both the master and the client if you're not already there.
There are still some issues with MP6 (MP7 is in the works), but nothing that
will prevent you from getting a solid backup and restore.  I got an updated
version of bpdbjobs, but that's on the reporting end of things...

HTH,

Neil