Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Job Priority

2007-04-05 16:28:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Job Priority
From: Jason.Ellis at indymacbank.com (Ellis, Jason)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:28:19 -0700
True, time does determine when a job will start regardless of priority.
But assume you have queued jobs waiting for resources and you kick off a
new policy with a higher job priority, these newly queued jobs will go
active before the other queued jobs that have a lower priority. This is
the behavior we see today in our environment. My question was simply if
job priority was relative, so if two different policies had a job
priority of 10 and where started at the same time then they would be
treated the same.

Part of the reason we want to do this is because we have some low
priority development clients that if they get a backup great, otherwise
if they don't we're not going to worry. I want to set a baseline and
then setup these policies below the baseline, so if we have the
resources the backups occur. It's too bad you can't setup dynamic job
priority, i.e. if your last successful backup was 24 hours it has a
priority of X, if the last successful backup was 48 hours ago it has a
priority of Y, etc.

Jason Ellis
Technical Consultant, Data Protection Team
IndyMac Bank, La Mirada Datacenter
Phone: (714) 520-3414
Mobile: (714) 889-8734