Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Preventing Media Expiration when doing a Catalog restore

2007-04-04 14:53:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Preventing Media Expiration when doing a Catalog restore
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 14:53:06 -0400
> We are restoring a catalog tape to our dv environment(same
> server name). The catalog db seems to be expiring the
> images we are testing with since time has progressed
> past the expiry time.
>
> Is there a way to tell the catalog db to not expire any images?

D Dunham noted the NOexpire file.  There's a current technote which
mentions it in the similar context of replicated catlogs, regarding not
expiring images before database consistency can be established--so the
file and its effects are documented.  See
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287636

> If i do an import, the images will expire from the time of
> the import.  Shouldn't the same thing happen for Catalog restore?

Not really; these are two very different situations:

1.  Catalog recovery:  My master, or its datacenter, no longer exists.
I have my vaulted catalog backup and data tapes and a new master server.
bprecover and I'm in business.  All my data expires exactly as it would
have had I been running on the original master, nothing has changed,
business continues.

2.  Import:  I have ten dust-covered tapes that may have the expired
(say, three-year-retention) 1998 year-end backups that finance wants to
review.  Once imported, they have the same three-year lifespan as they
did originally, giving appropriate time to decide what to do with the
data.