Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrate catalog from Windows to Solaris

2007-02-13 07:40:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrate catalog from Windows to Solaris
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:40:08 -0600
On 2/13/2007 3:30 AM, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> As long as you back it up to tape/disk with a catalog backup and then back
> again it /should/ be ok as long as the versions are the same etc.?

Not at all!  Recovering a catalog across platforms is not supported and
actually will *not* work.  Line terminations are different between the
two platforms and you will have unusable files after the recovery.

We did a migration from Windows to Solaris back on 3.4 and it was a
major effort with some binary file editing.  This is not for the faint
of heart and things have changed a fair bit since we did our migration.

Contact Symantec Professional Services if you really want to do this.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org