Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Symantec ?!Support?!

2007-01-04 11:44:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Symantec ?!Support?!
From: dsixbury at hrblock.com (Sixbury, Dan)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:44:21 -0600
I have dealt with numerous vendors and support.  Like all vendors, who
you get on the other line makes a huge difference as to the type of
support you receive.  i.e. I actually have received better Red Hat Linux
support from HP versus directly from Red Hat.  But in that same example
I have had both good and bad experiences.  Different people have
different levels of experience and therefore you will receive different
support depening on the level of expertise you have helping you.

So far as support from Symantec / NetBackup, I have had some average
support and I have had top of the line, really good support.

In regards to having to wait for a call back, it really depends on the
criticality of your case and the work load of the support engineers.  I
have to admit that I prefer support setup such that if you have an issue
that you can get transferred to someone immediately, and that is an
option (I believe?) with NetBackup if you have severity level 1 issue.
Most of the issues that I have that require calling support have a call
back within 2 hours and that has been acceptable.

So far as value for using Symantec (Veritas) for support, it also
depends on your environment.  I just checked my configuration and we
have over 853 clients of which 762 are Unique clients that are getting
backed up on a regular basis.  I would never want to support this
environment if I didn't have someone like Symantec to back me up when I
ran into issues.

So far as the email and phone numbers, I have typically gotten
verification from the support person on the number and email address
that is on file to verify that it is correct.  Not sure if they don't
always verify this, but I have typically received verification.

Dan