Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 Drive Issues

2006-12-29 13:29:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 Drive Issues
From: dbrown at worknetinc.com (Dave Brown)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:29:02 -0600
I am fighting this one.

I have Quantum M1500 lib with 2 LTO2 drives.  Put in 3rd drive but it is
LTO3.  Logically to me (and confirmed by people here)  I should be able
to tell the drive to write hcat2 density and all should be well but it
is not.  The installation notes from the drive said M1500 required
firmware of 10.0 and I currently have 12.0 so that should not be an
issue.

I can get the drive to load a tape and even write files to it but is is
so slow and painful that it does not seem right.  I expected it to be
slow as the speed of the drive certainly out performs the rate at which
I can supply data.

I tried a policy with three clients listed.  One of the clients has
drive attached locally while other two are coming across a 100mb network
connection.  I set it to allow 8 streams and each client to allow
multiple streams as well.  I was getting 8 streams writing to it and
while the stream were reporting 3mb/sec or better,  the overall
performance of the jobs appeared much slower.  As a test,  I ran the
same job to my LTO2 drive and it just flew through.

NB60 MP4
Windows 2003

Thoughts, Ideas, suggestions ?

Dave

This message (including any attachments) is intended for the sole use of the
individual to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information.
You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or duplication of
this message by someone other than the intended addressee or their designated
agent is strictly prohibited. Information included in this message that does
not relate to the specified business of Worknet shall be understood as neither
given by nor endorsed by Worknet or its employees.  Any cost estimates or
estimated quotes included in this message are considered non-binding estimates
only and must not be considered final costs unless contained within an official
proposal document.