Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO-3 throughput expectations

2006-12-21 01:42:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO-3 throughput expectations
From: skirkpatrick at ghx.com (Steve Kirkpatrick)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 23:42:41 -0700
Environment:
NB5.0MP6
Master server: Sun V440 w/ 4x1.2GHZ SPARC III, 8GB RAM running Solaris 10
Sun L500 library with four HPUltrium LTO-3 drives connected to master server
via 2GB SAN.

I can't seem to get more than 12.5MB/sec throughput on these LTO-3 drives.
That is about the same as I am getting on another server's SCSI-connected LTO-1
drives.  I see the same performance whether I am duplicating tapes using
bpduplicate or when I am backing up clients over a gigabit network.

After reading all of the recent threads concerning tape drive performance,
shoeshining, etc, I can't believe that the master server is only able to feed
12.5MB/sec of data to these drives.

I have just downloaded the Veritas NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance
Tuning Guide but have yet to delve into it.  Before I do, I was hoping to get
some pointers on where to start looking for bottlenecks.

Some of the previous threads on the subject suggested multiplexing jobs across
drives but I worry that doing so will cause my duplicate jobs to take longer as
well as hamper restore performance.  Need I be worried about that?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Cheers,
Steve.