Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 Read/Write LTO2

2006-12-19 21:41:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 Read/Write LTO2
From: sysadminzone at gmail.com (Boris Kraizman)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:41:28 -0600
Hi Folks,

Just got three new LTO3 tape drives in our STK L180 and had to configure
them as hcart2 for compatibility with the remote site with same library, but
with LTO2 tape drives. We tested all combinations, ran backups and restores
on same media with the new drives and on a small L20 liner with LTO2 drives,
and worked well. So, it seems no problem and we can wait until we get LTO3
at the second site as well. Again, yes it was tricky to make NetBackup works
with LTO2 tape media, we followed a white paper, that says about how to
configure a new generation of tape drives and make it compatible with the
older tapes. But, still if I need to do restores and reads from old tapes,
do I have to keep LTO3 tape drives as hcart2? or I can make tape media
hcart3 with vmchange based on the guildlines. I would like to hear, how I
would use lto2 tapes with lto3 drives and keep running backups already on
lto3 cartridges. It seems, maybe we will have to keep one tape drive with
older type of density (hcart2) for such requests.

Regards,
Boris