Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FalconStor vs. Data Domain

2006-12-18 08:51:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FalconStor vs. Data Domain
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:51:46 -0500

        From: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Curtis
Preston
        Sent: December 15, 2006 6:26 PM
        To: King, Cheryl; veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
        Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] FalconStor vs. Data Domain

        I'm eagerly awaiting the GA release of the de-dupe versions of
SEPATON and Falconstor.   They'll probably outperform Data Domain on the
high end, but not everybody needs that.  In addition, Data Domain's got
them beat by about three years and several hundred happy customers.
There's something to be said for a big installed base.

        Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, both
SEPATON and FalconStor are taking the approach with de-duplication that
they write the data straight to disk, then run the de-dup process
against it later, to shrink the datastore. If that is, in fact, correct,
then it would seem to me, that in a busy environment, where there is
insufficient "low" time to run the de-dup process, your data will either
"not" get de-duped, OR, you will get a performance hit while it is
running, which may negate some of the raw throughput which the product
attempted to gain by doing the de-dup in a second stage. Comments?

        BTW, you don't need to buy more drive licenses for you VTL.  You
need to buy a VTL license, which is priced per GB.

        What he said. ;o)

        I've talked to 3 or 4 different people...VARs, etc, and most of
them stated the above, regarding licensing per drive, as an argument
against VTL.....hopefully it's not Cheryl's Symantec sales rep giving
her this info....if so, she needs to keep pushing.

        Paul

La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans
d?lai ?
l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.