Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shoe shining

2006-12-15 09:11:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shoe shining
From: austin.murphy at gmail.com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:11:33 -0500

Curtis said:
> > I hate to say it, but your IBM sales rep is either lieing or doesn't know
> > what he/she's talking about if he/she told you that their drives don't
> > suffer shoeshining. (Don't worry; he/she is not alone.)

One tape system I've seen that doesn't have a shoeshine problem is
Ampex's DCRsi.  It can write at any speed between 0 and 30 MB/sec.  It
uses 1" tape with a tranvserse scanning head.  It looks like it is
mostly used for instrument recording (like aircraft black boxes).
http://www.ampexdata.com/html/tape_products.html

The T10000 is particularly difficult because it only has 2 streaming
speeds.  50MB/sec and 120MB/sec.

Austin