Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6 compatibility w/ 3.4 Clients?

2006-12-12 13:10:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6 compatibility w/ 3.4 Clients?
From: cjmanders at lbl.gov (Christopher Jay Manders)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:10:59 -0800
Hi Simon,

It was indeed me. :-)

I have been having just loads of fun with this upgrade, since here we
have only limited access to client machines.

A 'drag' might even summarize the whole 6.0 experience.

EMM did not upgrade nicely, so all of our NDMP backups have been hosed
up, plus Vault settings were hosed up to the point that nbvault would
not ever start. Then combine in the new 'well documented' feature of not
supporting older than old clients (for the record we note that we have
blissfully had no problems with 3.4 clients [such as for Mac8&9, Solaris
2.5.1,2.6, HP/UX10.20, Windows95.98] in our previous 5.1 environment)
and we have a 'bad month' of lots of overtime effort... Our group has
discussed it and we have to term the experience as a 'downgrade' so far,
even though there are nice features in 6.0 as advertised. :(

So far, the cost for the upgrade has been more than any other (3.4->4.5,
4.5->5.0, or 5.0->5.1).

It will be another month before I am over the upgrade.

And another month before I am caught up on sleep. ;)

I think this is the last 'upgrade' that we do. The next one will be from
scratch or not at all..with eyes wide shut. 8-)

I hope others have had a better time than we have. The Vault fix alone
was enough to cause grey hair...

Anyway, I plan to have several beers to remedy my headache one day soon.

Happy Christmas!
--Chris