Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Checkpoint on backups.

2006-12-11 10:49:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Checkpoint on backups.
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:49:12 -0500
Well, we're both right in a way.  When a checkpoint-enabled backup fails
the images and fragments are saved in the catalog and I believe there is
some other sort of marker so that when you resume the backup job it goes
back to that point in the file system and starts from there.  Aka... I
"failed" on file 123.xyx, I need to resume there.  Backups don't
actually "fail" they go to an "incomplete" state and you need to
"resume" them before the window closes or this data is lost (big problem
here until I expanded our windows.)  I'm not 100% sure, but I think
canceling the job (from the incomplete state) deletes the information
from the catalog (similar to a truly failed backup) and as far as I'm
aware once the window has closed there is no way to resume an incomplete
backup (how silly!)  Anyhow, if you are multiplexing your backups this
can be a lifesaver, and for larger file systems too!  Its done fairly
well here, but I look forward to disk based backups and not having to
worry about checkpoints and restarts taking up tape space.

-Jonathan