Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Not Using all Tape Drives

2006-12-11 09:13:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Not Using all Tape Drives
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:13:33 -0500
I can't remember if you said you were using SSO or not, but are you, (or
anyone else using ITC) using SSO as well?

Reason I'm asking, is I'm concerned about the algorithm used to select
drives from Primary and Secondary storage groups.

For example, at the moment, I'm not using SSO, but I have ITC configured
to use 2 drives per media server (per stu)

so each media server gets 2 drives in one robot and 2 drives in the
other.

I was wondering if the jobs using SSO will "always" reserve a drive from
the first listed STU first, so that you will not run into a situation
where one media server selects the last available drive from one robot,
while another media server selects the last available drive from the
other robot, then each holds on to their drive waiting for their second,
so you've got a sort of deadlock situation where neither media server
gets a second drive.

Does this make sense?

Anyone expreienced this?

Paul