Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Infinity backup and level of infinity

2006-12-08 02:17:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Infinity backup and level of infinity
From: cpreston at glasshouse.com (Curtis Preston)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 02:17:37 -0500
That's why I advise people to use bplabel to relabel every tape in the scratch
pool as soon as it gets there.  Nobody that I know (and I know some pretty
sharp people) knows how to get past the "last file on tape" marker that gets
put at the end of that label.  (Every time you write or append to a tape, the
last file on the tape has a special file mark at the end of it saying it's the
last file on tape.  Every device driver in the world will stop there and not go
farther when reading the tape.  When writing to the tape, of course, it will
overwrite that marker and then write another one at the end of what you append
to the tape.)
---
W. Curtis Preston, Author of Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies