Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] make_scsi_dev woes under Linux

2006-12-06 14:41:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] make_scsi_dev woes under Linux
From: jking at hnl.bcm.tmc.edu (Justin King)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:41:27 -0600
Near as I can tell, make_scsi_dev determines which drives are connected
to the system and creates symlinks to those corresponding devices.  When
you load your 'st' module, you get something like this:

Nov 30 16:08:52 kyle kernel: st: Version 20030406, bufsize 262144, max
init. bufs 8, s/g segs 16

Nov 30 16:08:52 kyle kernel: Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi1, channel 0,
id 0, lun 2

Nov 30 16:08:52 kyle kernel: Attached scsi tape st1 at scsi1, channel 0,
id 0, lun 3

Nov 30 16:08:52 kyle kernel: Attached scsi tape st2 at scsi1, channel 0,
id 0, lun 4

Nov 30 16:08:52 kyle kernel: Attached scsi tape st3 at scsi2, channel 0,
id 0, lun 5

Nov 30 16:08:52 kyle kernel: Attached scsi tape st4 at scsi2, channel 0,
id 0, lun 6

Nov 30 16:08:52 kyle kernel: Attached scsi tape st5 at scsi2, channel 0,
id 0, lun 7

When make_scsi_dev is run, it creates the following files in /dev/st/
(clearly, this is my unique configuration, YMMV)

H1C0T0L2 -> /dev/st0

H1C0T0L3 -> /dev/st1

H1C0T0L4 -> /dev/st2

H2C0T0L5 -> /dev/st3

H2C0T0L6 -> /dev/st4

H2C0T0L7 -> /dev/st5

NH1C0T0L2 -> /dev/nst0

NH1C0T0L3 -> /dev/nst1

NH1C0T0L4 -> /dev/nst2

NH2C0T0L5 -> /dev/nst3

NH2C0T0L6 -> /dev/nst4

NH2C0T0L7 -> /dev/nst5

Additionally, it creates files in /dev/sg/ that point to any SCSI device
(disks, tape, controllers, etc.  This appears to aid in auto-detection,
etc).  Look at /proc/scsi/scsi, everything in there should map to a
/dev/sgX device.  Example:

H0C0T0L0 -> /dev/sg0

H1C0T0L0 -> /dev/sg1

H2C0T0L7 -> /dev/sg10

In your case, you should be able to create these symlinks yourself and
comment out the make_scsi_dev command.  As people have pointed out, if
devices move around, then you'll have to recreate these - it isn't
elegant, but it might get you up and running.