Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO-3 and MPX

2006-12-05 11:35:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO-3 and MPX
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:35:52 -0500
you can set the MPX level in the storage unit and the schedul.

in the storage unit, you are setting a "global" max value for the drives
allocated to that storage unit, the if you assign policies to that STU,
you can set a lower MPX level in a schedule.

The lowest of the two will override.

for example.

if you have LTO3 drives, and you determine that you best throughput is
MPX=3 for GigE  clients, and MPX=10 for 100Mb/s clients.

you could set the MPX for the STU to 10, then group all of your GigE
clients in a policy/schedule with MPX=3, and all of your 100Mb/s clients
in a policy/schedulle with MPX=10

you might decide that you want to multiplex your fulls or incrementals
at a different level, if you determine that to be advantageous in your
env.

if you have another library or group of drives that are older, say
DLT7k's, and you want max MPX=2, because the drives are slower and less
reliable, then you can put them in a separate STU, with MPX=2, and this
will override the MPX=10 set in your policy/schedule.

Paul