Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Quick Verify Question regarding upgrade for MP

2006-12-04 23:25:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Quick Verify Question regarding upgrade for MP
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 22:25:59 -0600
On 12/4/2006 7:53 AM, WEAVER, Simon wrote:
> But, the SQL 2005 Server is being backed up over the LAN. So could I
> upgrade my Master to MP5, leave the 2 SAN Media Servers at MP2 and
> upgrade the clients.

Most definitely not supported.  The master needs to be at the highest
rev, followed by the media servers, and then lastly the clients.
Upgrading a client to a version later than a media server is a no-no.

> Any pros and cons to this? I know Technote state master then media and
> clients, but wondered if any real headaches would be caused by just
> doing the master first, then the SAN Media at a later date (few weeks).

If you have any issues, you will not be supported.  Whether that is a
risk you're willing to take is up to you.  Whether it works or not is
something you may not get good feedback on since most (hopefully all) of
us don't run configurations that are documented as unsupported.   You
could have some fun SSO issues that you're simply not going to get any
help on...

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA