Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Encryption Option

2006-11-27 14:39:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Encryption Option
From: austin.murphy at gmail.com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:39:03 -0500
I'm using it on all my servers.  I found that using blowfish is
substantially faster than using AES-256.   My dual 3.4GHz Xeon
(HyperThreading OFF) SAN media server maxes out at 6x 10MB/s streams
using blowfish.  That works out to about 200GB/hour in actual
real-life performance.

The big problem is that encrypted data does not compress on tape.  If
you want to use data compression, you need to do it in software before
the encryption.  NetBackup can do this, but it is very slow ...
several times slower than the encryption.

The weak point in the encryption system is the Key Management.  It
seems to be much easier and more secure to have the keys on a central
encryption device rather than on EVERY server being backed up.

For large environments, the ~$100 per system license cost for the
encryption option adds up to something comparable to the cost of an
encryption appliance or two.

Austin