Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backups

2006-11-25 18:13:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backups
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:13:49 -0500
I'm not an RMAN / Oracle guru here and I work pretty closely with my DBAs to
make our backups work but my testing with 5.1 MP4 shows that the schedule
retention overrides the default-application-backup.  Further, how exactly do
you run both a full and incremental in the same policy?  If your policy calls
full_backup.cmd (.sh) and that calls RMAN - how does RMAN or the script know
which schedule Netbackup is running?  Is this a scripting function you are
using?  I use two policies to call full versus incremental backups because I
run two backup scripts, full_backup and incr_backup .cmd/sh.  I guess you could
customize your RMAN script to run a different command based on some sort of
system input / variable?!  Anyhow, we're upgrading to 6.0 here in the next
month or two and I'm going to have to tackle this problem then.

-Jonathan