Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] I need some additional help to backup oracle.

2006-11-22 21:14:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] I need some additional help to backup oracle.
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:14:18 -0600
On 11/22/2006 1:25 PM, Krzys wrote:
> You guys are so much more helpfull than any other place... even with symantec
> support I dont get that much support as from you guys, but anyway I have
> netbackup and one of the backup clients is running oracle. In my previous job
> DBA's were doing cold/hot backups and they just dumped files to directories
> that
> I then backed up, in this job culture I guess is sligtly different so DBA's
> told
> me that this is my job to do backups... So anyway for the cold backup they
> provided me with stop script to stop oracle databases (I know its not to good
> and it causes all sorts of problems if database would not came back etc) But
> despite those aspects what would I need to do to acomplish this task of
> backing
> up system with oracle down...

Don't even go there.  Believe me, you *will* have issues.  You *will*
leave databases down when they're supposed to be up.  You *will* be
phoned and yelled at.  Your DBAs *will* be phoned and yelled at.

Your previous job's approach is tolerable - it's what we do here today
(until we get the agents into production).  The approach they want in
your current job is NOT a good idea.  It sucks.  It breaks randomly.  It
leaves databases down.  Don't try it.  You'll be sorry.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org