Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how to setup netbackup to bring oracle down for cold backup and then start it up

2006-11-19 11:05:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how to setup netbackup to bring oracle down for cold backup and then start it up
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:05:47 -0600
On 11/19/2006 7:52 AM, Krzys wrote:
> Hello everyone, I have a question, I am new to netbackup still and I am doing
> some progress. I did install on my linux boxes clients and now I am
> sucessfuly
> backing them up, now the next step that I want to try is to backup oracle. I
> know that there are different ways of doing oracle backup but I was told by
> my
> DBa that previous admin was given stop and start scripts and he took care of
> the
> rest, but I have no idea how to use those stop and start scripts with
> netbackup
> to bring oracle down and then start after backup is completed. Anyone has any
> hints? WHen I looked up on the server side in policy settings I did see
> options
> for oracle rman backups but my DBa says that we dont use rman to back up any
> databases... Where could I get more info? any one has any suggestions...

Having NetBackup automatically stop and start Oracle is extremely
error-prone.  There will be times when the database will not start up
due to a variety of errors that can occur at various times of the backups.

We don't use agents and I got called an hour ago by a DBA and we don't
even have stop/start scripts called by NetBackup!  He still thought it
was our fault that the database was down.

Use an Oracle agent.  Seriously.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA