Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups

2006-11-15 14:04:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups
From: ssesar at mitre.org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:04:40 -0500
* ARCHIVELOG ALL NOT BACKED UP 3 TIMES;*

 This means that RMAN will backup a-logs that have been backed up less
than three times.

*DELETE NOPROMPT ARCHIVELOG ALL BACKED UP 3 TIMES TO DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE;*

This means that RMAN will delete archive logs that have been backed up
at least three times (to the same device)

If you or your DBAs are manually deleting a-logs, that's probably not a
good thing, as your catalog will be out of sync. Run the RMAN code that
Jonathan passed along top you.

--Steve

Martin, Jonathan (Contractor) wrote:
> You can't just delete archive logs, you have to use RMAN to remove them.
>
> Per one of my oracle DBAs.
>
> Go into RMAN, Connect to Catalog
> Run "change archivelog all validate;" then "resynch catalog;"
> Run full backup.
>
> I'm not an Oracle DBA but I know if you've manually deleted Oracle
> Archive logs that's not a good thing.
>
> -Jonathan

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730