Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Bpexpdate not working, freezing

2006-11-14 10:03:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Bpexpdate not working, freezing
From: Michael.Sponsler at ngc.com (Sponsler, Michael)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:03:30 -0500
That's what I think I will do.  I recycled netbackup on the master
server, I was able to run bpexpdate on the tapes I needed to, and do a
quick erase.  I'm thinking there is a problem with the EMM database
getting "stuck", for lack of a better term.  If that is the case, it
really doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about this product.

I don't know what everyone else is expereincing with Netbackup 6.0, but
on top of bpexpdate not working properly all the time, I have known good
tapes that will spit out error 86 errors.  The tapes and the jukeboxes
are less than a year old.  Both were used previosly with legato, and all
the tapes were labeled before being introduced to the Netbackup
environment.  I was told by a Veritas consultant that labeling the old
legato tapes in Netbackup would be just fine.  No one wants to tell he
customer that they need to buy 2,000 SDLTII tapes after they did so
about 10 months ago.

Some tapes will backup data for a while, then give me a "Cannot locate
on Drive index 0", media position error (86).  It's not the same tapes
or jukeboxes everytime.  It seems that it occurs randomly, without a
pattern through out our Netbackup domain.  Of course the drives will go
down, and I get riddled with 800 errors.

Netbackup seems fine, when it works.  But I've got to watch it all the
time.  A robust, enterprise product should not need such a high level of
user interaction to keep it running.

I am hoping that MP4 fixes a lot of these problems.

--
Mike Sponsler
Northrop Grumman
Michael.Sponsler at ngc.com