Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Query remote drives

2006-11-08 16:26:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Query remote drives
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 16:26:20 -0500
> Quick Idea, what do you all think ?
>
> It would appear that retrieving device names and serial
> numbers remotely
> can't be done through NBU so what about setting up a scheduled job on
> each windows media server to run every 5 mins or so to run
> tpautoconf -t
> , output it into the desired format and then bpgp the file into an
> allocated area on the master, the master then has the relevent info it
> needs.
[...]
>   Yeah I know of the below, what I'm trying to achieve is putting
>   a script together to check drives  across the SSO environment and
>   re-organise accordingly by adding/deleting as necessary. To do
>   this I would need serial number info on the drives per media
>   server in order to add them correctly  into the SSO env.

Having trouble imagining a production environment so unstable that it
would need tape drives reconfigured every five minutes--or every five
days.  No drives, no bridges, no fibre or cabling or switches or HBAs or
drivers or OS or app should be that flaky.

Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the underlying problem, rather than
build a bigger hammer to use every time said problem pops up?  Not
trying to beat you up--just wondering why you are attacking it with
reconfiguration-on-error.