Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5.0MP6 on Solaris10

2006-11-06 16:26:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 5.0MP6 on Solaris10
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:26:38 -0800 (PST)
> Shared memory and Semaphores are interprocess communication (IPCS).  The
> parameters are set in the OS even though it is typically the application
> that requires the setting.
>
> Veritas (Symantec) would rightly say that it is up to Sun to say HOW to
> set the parameters.  Sun would be right to say it is up to Veritas
> (Symantec) to say WHAT values should be set.
>
> Instead of asking Sun how to set the parameters for NetBackup ask them:
>
> How do I set shared memory segments and related parameters?  How do I
> set semaphores and related parameters?   Both of these should be
> questions they should answer.   Once they do then you can probably use
> the same values you've used before.

Probably.

Prior to 10, such settings were static allocations in /etc/system.  If
they weren't there, the defaults were tiny.  In 10, the defaults are
much higher, so you might not need to set anything at all.

With 10, the allocations are dynamic, so /etc/system shouldn't be used.

*however*, to support backward compatibility, limits mentioned there are
still enforced, if the limit still exists.  To the OP, what errors are
you getting with your settings?  In some cases, the varible has changed
or the limit just doesn't make sense and you can remove the line.

My first attempt would be to comment out all the resource lines like
that in /etc/system, reboot and see if things work.  Only if they don't
would I then override them.

Here's a page that talks about some of the changes.
http://www.versant.com/developer/forums/discussions/view_topic?topic_id=1468&topic_offset=10

Here's some of the relevant docs from Sun on the topic:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2450/6n4o5md6m?a=view

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com