Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Determine efficiency of tape usage.

2006-11-01 10:37:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Determine efficiency of tape usage.
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:37:28 -0500
> How do you determine the efficiency of your tape usage?  i.e.
> I was just
> asked recently about our use of LTO3 tapes since they can
> hold up to 800
> GB compressed, how much we were actually consuming.  i.e. if we are
> getting our money's worth for the larger capacity more
> expensive tapes.

Since we're all guessing what you meant, you might want to say what
underlying issue you're trying to address so replies can address that.

Here's my guess:
If you have configured lots of pools, lots of retentions, lots of
libraries, lots of media servers, multiple streams, multiplexed and
non-multiplexed and lots of drives, you have decided to accept a ton of
partly filled tapes at any time.  And if you vault originals, you make
it that much worse.  Potentially, you can have one backup on each tape,
on- and off-site--so you might as well use old DDS drives rather than
have a gig on each of your big LTO tapes.

There are reasons you might want to do each of the things listed, but
generally not good ones.

For my money, the best way to see and show the situation is to run
available_media.  I do a lot of analysis on that to generate various
metrics, but the report all by itself will tell you what (I think) you
want to know.