Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux Media Server + Win2K3 Master

2006-10-30 11:18:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux Media Server + Win2K3 Master
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:18:36 -0500
On 6.0, as the DB is on the master (EMM) server, and not on the Mediaserver, I
would be inclined to use the Master.Actually, I would use(and am using) the
master, regardless.
The only reason I wouldn't use the master, is if I was short on diskspace, and
a media server had lots, and the NAS FS was large with lotsof small files.
Sure NDMP is chatty, but if the drives are attached to the NAS anyway,you're
still minimizing network traffic.
I'm assuming you're talking about dedicated NAS attached tapedrives.....
Paul
--

> -----Original Message-----> From: veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu > [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces at
> mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf > Of Joe Royer> Sent: October 30, 2006
> 11:06 AM> To: veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu> Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu]
> Linux Media Server + Win2K3 Master> > > Linux is not supported as an NDMP
> media server in 5.1, only Win2k or > Solaris.  If you are on 6.0, I don't
> know.> > > > Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:46:42 -0400> From: "Brooks, Jason"
> <brooksje at longwood.edu> > Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Linux Media Server +
> Win2K3 Master > To: <veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu> > Message-ID:>
>      <1506F2C9502C334EA376FB2DB68C76159AC4BA at virtus.longwood.edu> >
> contributing factor to this, but can't > find out why.> > With the added test
> Linux Media Server, if I set the storage > unit to be > used by only that
> Media Server, it won't mount a tape, reporting that > the "Tape Media server
> is not active".  If it's set to any available, > the job will run, but not by
> the Linux media server.  So far, any job> ran to use the Linux storage unit
> are sourcing from the > master server. > Additionally, what I'm trying to
> back up is a NDMP device, > and if I try> to create a NDMP storage unit, the
> Linux media server isn't even > available.> So, it seems that I'm missing
> something.  Suggestions while I > go off and > dig through the Nix Admin
> Guide?> > Thanks,>
> Jason====================================================================================
La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.
This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
ofCanada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying
of thisemail or the information it contains by other than the intended
recipient isunauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it
immediately fromyour system and notify the sender promptly by email that you
have done so.
Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y
rapportent. Toute diffusion,utilisation ou copie de ce courriel ou des
renseignements qu'il contient par unepersonne autre que le ou les destinataires
d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevezce courriel par erreur, veuillez le
supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?l'exp?diteur un message
?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votreordinateur toute copie
du courriel re?u.