Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Memory usage under rhel 2.1

2006-10-27 13:02:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Memory usage under rhel 2.1
From: enyamada at gmail.com (Edson Noboru Yamada)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:02:26 -0300
Hi,

I have a media server (NBU 5.1 MP4) running under RHEL 2.1 AS.
The server is a SUN V40Z with 8GB RAM. There are 6 LTO2 tape drives attached
to it.
Under normal circunstances, each job is recorded on two tapes simultaneously
(on and off-site copy).

My question is regarding the memory usage, which looks too low.
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS=64, SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS=524288, and the MPX of each
of the 6 drives is 32.
So, according to the manual, the total shared memory allocate should be:
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS x SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS x MPX x Number of drives = 6 GB.

However, using linux top command, we see a plenty of free memory (5 or 6GB),
no matter how many jobs are running.

btpm complains also that it?s waiting for empty buffers.

Am I doing something wrong?

TIA