Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Flashbackup System Requirements

2006-10-26 09:09:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup System Requirements
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:09:56 -0400
All,

We're purchasing the Advanced Client option to enable us to pull raw
data off our HDS SAN and as a bonus I'd like to use Flashbackup to grab
our fileservers.  My question is, how processor/memory intensive is the
backup?  The Media servers are specced' as follows (3 of them)

Dell PowerEdge 2950
2 x Dual Core Xeon Processor 5060s 2x2MB Cache, 3.20Ghz 1066FSB
4 x 1GB 667Mhz Ram
2 x Braodcom Gigabit TOE Nics (onboard)
4 x Intel Quad Gigabit Nics (PCIe add on)

File Server - PowerEdge 2950
1 x Gigabit Nic (Back-end / Exclusive Backup Use)
Windows 2003 NTFS Volumes

Could I reasonably expect this media server to be backing up (in theory)
6 gigabit streams at the same time while "indexing" one of those streams
from a file server?  If I had to I suppose I could have one media server
do nothing except backup the file system until its done then accept
other backups, but that seems like a waste.  Does anyone have any
numbers?  I'm worried the processors won't be able to keep up with the
data stream and impact the flash backup speed or even worse the other 5
backups going on simultaneously (in theory.)

-Jonathan