Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux Media Server, Adic Library, and Drivers

2006-10-25 12:40:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux Media Server, Adic Library, and Drivers
From: Robin.Small at fresno.gov (Robin Small)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:40:40 -0700
We have to Linux media servers talking to a linux master. While they're
using an ADIC Pathlight VTL (FC connected with QLogic 23xx cards), to
the linux box it still tastes just like a scsi tape drive.

I want to think we used either the IBM tape drivers (an RPM was
available for SUSE on IBM's site), or left it to the standard linux
kernel with /dev/sg<x> and /dev/st<x> for the devices.

<does a rpm -qa and some grepping>

No drivers, just standard linux kernel.

Something I did have to do with SLES9 is to make sure the QLogic and
Adaptec cards were loaded in the initrd, so the device ordering would be
consistent when the box needed to get rebooted. We had a condition where
the device addresses (/dev/st#) would move to different numbers on a
system restart. Putting the drivers in the initrd fixed that and they
load in the correct order every time.

And, fwiw, we are (soon) getting ready to replace our scsi attached
Scalar 100 with a fiber attached Scalar i500. So I might be able to
shuffle some things to test out the FC vs SCSI attached drives if
there's a difference. But, I thought the Linux kernel treats FC and SCSI
the same way as far as system-to-device interaction goes.

hth,

~ Robin