Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Speeds

2006-10-23 09:20:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Speeds
From: robq at bluecrestcapital.com (Rob Quagliozzi)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:20:22 +0100
Hi all,

I have a Win2k3SP1 file server cluster member that will not back up at
any reasonable kind of speed - it will sometimes kick off at about
12MB/s and can drop as low as 3MB/s (avg is about 5MB/s).  It backs up
over Gbit Ethernet, and so I would expect to be seeing somewhat faster
speeds - I have another server that does not drop below 16MB/s.

The policy is split into 3 streams, with multiplex set at 2 (when I set
it to 3 I have Paged Pool errors on the client followed by an OS hang.
(Rectified as of today with a reg key).  Occasionally one of the streams
when it kicks off will sit around about 700K/s (always the same
drive/folders as well) and still be running first thing in the
morning... I've even shuffled the jobs around so that this job is the
only one running for a couple of hours.

I've checked all the usual stuff - link speed/duplex (manually set at
1000/Full), virus scan (disabled), windows Open File backups have been
disabled for this client as well, as I was having the odd snapshot
error.

Master server is Win2k3SP1 5.0MP3 with all clients at same level. 2xLTO2
drives in a STK500SL library.

Any ideas? I'm stumped - just to add further confusion, both cluster
nodes exhibit the problem to a degree. Argh!

Thanks

Rob Q

Rob Quagliozzi

Senior Systems Administrator

BlueCrest Capital Management

40 Grosvenor Place

London SW1X 7AW

Tel: 020 7664 3545

robq at bluecrestcapital.com

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an
offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or
as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and
other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are
subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not
necessarily reflect those of BlueCrest Capital Management Limited, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

BlueCrest Capital Management Limited is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.
Registered Office: 2nd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X 7AW, United
Kingdom.

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7664 1950
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7259 5612