Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Managing Tape Rotations

2006-10-11 11:38:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Managing Tape Rotations
From: Michael.Sponsler at ngc.com (Sponsler, Michael)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:38:22 -0400
I'm trying to work out a good tape rotation policy, and I'm trying to
get vault to work the way I want it.  Basically the tapes are replaced
every month, and rotated back in every 6 months (they get erased when
rotated back in).  With Vault, I've noticed that the "vaulted" tapes
remain in the same volume pool that they were assigned to but are moved
to a different volume group.  With out unassigning the tape, and
basically losing the data on said tape, is there a way to move the tape
to a different Volume Pool (not volume group) while the tape is vaulted
/ moved off-site?  I'm dealing with hundreds of tapes, and my Volume
pools are becoming cluttered with vaulted tapes.

Is there a better tape rotation system to use besides Vault, and what
would any of you suggest?

--
Mike Sponsler
Northrop Grumman