Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Version 6 catalog. Bigger?

2006-10-10 20:25:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Version 6 catalog. Bigger?
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
I'm running a system with NBU6.0 MP3.  After just a couple months of
operation, the catalog appears to be growing quite a bit faster than
the old 5.1 catalog did.  Is this expected?

Also, I'm doing a lot of Netapp NDMP backups (both direct and 3-way,
I'm not doing any remote at the moment).  Even with no data moving
through the master server, I'm completely blitzing the catalog disk
with 3 or 4 simultaneous full backups running.  I'm sure that many of
these volumes have way too many tiny files, but I don't recall this
problem with 5.x.  I can get 30MB/s+ with LTO3 on small numbers of
backups, but I appear to really throttle everything down if I try to
run 6 or 7.

I'll look into seeing how I can speed up the local catalog storage,
but I'm wondering if anyone has seen similar things when
transitioning?

Thanks!

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com