Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Has anybody used Aptare?

2006-10-10 19:25:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Has anybody used Aptare?
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:25:19 -0500
On 10/10/2006 11:56 AM, Dave Brown wrote:
> We are a datacenter that does hosting of client servers.  In with the
> hosting we offer data backup for our clients.  Currently I have over 75
> different server/client that I backup. I was looking for two things from
> a reporter.
>
> 1.    A report that will show TBs per month per client/policy

This is trivial with StorageConsole.  You can report by individual
client or create server groups (say if you have 3 servers that are owned
by one client).  We've got our data going back a couple of years and the
trends sure are nice!

> 2.    A way to see open backup windows so jobs can be added/moved

You can see individual policies but you can't see all of them on single
page like what I think you're after.

> I just left the Aptare web page,  was looking for a 30 day demo of it
> but guess it does not exist.

Aptare has a *superb* demo available - you don't even need to set up
your own server.  If your master server can reach the internet via
https, then you can install their agent software on your master and it
will send the information (status information, not backup data) to their
server.  You can then get real-world reports from your backups without
managing your own portal.

Contact their sales folks - they're probably one of the best companies
you'll ever deal with.  If report #2 is critical to you, ask them about
having that feature added to StorageConsole - they're very receptive to
customer feedback (those of you who like the reporting by file system
can thank me!).

It accomplishes this by running an agent on the master.  As a job
completes, the bp_exit_notify script is triggered by NetBackup which
includes an Aptare entry to add the completion data to a text file.
There are then daemons that run on a regular basis (you define the
timeframe) that gets the data about that job completion and sends it to
the portal.

> Currently we have Bocada (http://www.bocada.com/index.php), a base
> install and haven't really started going into it and actually
> customizing the application to suit our needs.

I really disliked the Bocada software during my evaluation.  It's
nowhere realtime and I found that the time it took to pull the data for
our environment was too painfull to use.  The client software was so
difficult to install that it took their tech support folks several hours
and multiple reboots to install on my desktop.  This is most definitely
not something that I would recommend installing on an exec's desktop.
Aptare's StorageConsole, however, is all web-based so all the client
needs is a browser.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA