Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How do de-reference symlinks?

2006-10-06 09:39:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How do de-reference symlinks?
From: cjmanders at lbl.gov (Christopher Jay Manders)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 06:39:52 -0700
Hi Justin,

It is true that the list did not help at the time...and I forgot to post
my solution.

The issue was:
- Symlinks restored without the data they pointed to will not be
restored. It is NBU standard stuff, unfortunately. I have asked for an
enhancement with Veritas. You should add your vote, as they say they do
NOT need it...even though modern day GNU tar has such an option. The
reason, I think, is so that they can sell you their FlashBackUp product,
which DOES dereference the symlinks...but forces one into RAW backups.
Luckily they did add in an INCR backup type with Flashbackup.

SOLUTION:
BUY this FlashBackUp product. It definately DOES work. However, like
other RAW backups, it backs up the ENTIRE partition even if EMPTY.

There are also some *small* gotchas with FlashBackup, and the setup in
our case was non-trivial. BUT, after weeks and weeks of hair pulling, it
is doing what we want and restores are zipping along fine, including our
copious symlinks.

The thing FlashBackUp does is create an inode map, and when restoring
uses that to do the de-referencing.

Hope you enjoy this data as much as we did!

Cheers!

--Chris