Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Bad tapes how do you track?

2006-10-05 23:17:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Bad tapes how do you track?
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 23:17:47 -0400
> Ok We from time to time get read / write errors on tapes. When
> this happens we clean the drive and write protect the tape and
> put it on our bad tape rack never to be used again except if a
> restore is needed (we try to restore form it anyway). I want to
> somehow keep track of this tape in netbackup and identify it as
> a bad tape. Does anyone have a way of doing this?

As others and you have mentioned, volume group and pool are classic
methods with disadvantages.  But you've already identified the sole
value of the tape:

> bad tape rack never to be used again except if a restore is needed

Excellent.  If the tape has images, duplicate them.  Then the problem
tape has no value and can be tossed or returned to your vendor,
eliminating the residual risk that it would be returned to service.