Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring a 1TB filesystem with 7million files Errors with Allocation Error 10 - Solution?

2006-09-30 13:15:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring a 1TB filesystem with 7million files Errors with Allocation Error 10 - Solution?
From: nelcaps at gmail.com (Nelson Caparroso)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:15:38 -0400
Symantec was no help but I actually found a workaround that they have
validated. Symantec will actually issue a Technote on my discovery of the
workaround. But take note, this only applies to 32Bit Netbackup running on
HP-UX 11.11 upwards.

The fix was to utilize the "chatr" utility to allow a 32bit application to
grow/access memory beyond the 1.9GB it is allowed in its default "memory
quadrant -- which is the 1st quadrant". This meant allowing it to execute in
the 3rd quadrant as follows (of course NBU needs to be down):

chatr +q3p enable /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bprd

After the change, start NBU and try your gazillion files filesystem
restore.... My problematic filesystem is about 1TB and around 7 million
files with the average file path around 900 characters long...

For other OSes, check for a similar utility....